Sunday 14 July 2013

Malancrav 10/07 - 14/07

A new set of villages, and a new set of students/volunteers. Although I know I'm here to identify and record the birds, it's very easy to get distracted by all the other wildlife. For instance, this (I think a Balkan Wall) Lizard used to sunbathe just outside my tent every day. 


I also spotted my first Red Squirrel of the trip from the campsite to. As well as lots of Lizards, there were to be good number of snakes here too, again proving the abundance of general wildlife. Having only ever seen two Snakes in the UK, I was very pleased to be able to get great views of this Grass Snake.


Anyway back to the birds (as that's why I'm here). This particular village had a large orchard on one of the hills, which was full of bird life (presumably because they don't use pesticides?) including Bee-eater, Red-backed Shrike, Golden Oriole and at least 4 species of Woodpecker. We did manage a few hours mist netting here, which again resulted in only catching a few birds. But  we did manage to catch 2 Woodpeckers, a Green and this awesome Lesser Spot.


Serin was also added to the species list here, with other notable species seen again including Scops Owl, Woodlark, Hobby, Honey Buzzard, Black Redstart, Wryneck, Tree Sparrow and Hawfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment