Wednesday 20 November 2013

Definitely not camera shy...

My luck was in today while strolling around the woods (thankfully I had remembered to put the memory card in the camera today, something I didn't manage to do yesterday!!). Usually when a Red Squirrel is on the ground and it spots you, it'll run up to the top of the nearest tree and stay there! However this one was different. It just hopped a short way up the tree, and let me get within 15 feet of him!! Hopefully this will be the first of many close encounters with these awesome creatures.



Moments before, this little chap came down to to puddle in front of me for a drink. Unfortunately this one wasn't so approachable! 


This is a Middle Spotted Woodpecker. As it's name would suggest, it's larger that the Lesser Spotted and smaller than the Great Spotted but very similar in plumage. All three species are present in this woodland, along with their bigger cousins the Green and Black Woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment