Saturday 26 January 2013

Out and about in Monts...

Spent the afternoon with Mike, doing a spot of bird watching near to where he lives. Despite not traveling too far we still managed to see plenty of birds. Highlights for me were 5+ Common Gulls (despite what it's name suggests, it's not such a common bird around mid Wales!!) feeding with a flock of around 200 Black-headed Gulls, several waders inc Golden Plover, Lapwing, Snipe, Curlew and Green Sandpiper, thousands of winter thrushes, but the best find for me today though was a Brent Goose (only the second one I've seen in Powys). These small Geese rarely make to central Wales, so I was very pleased to stumble across it.

(Lapwings with 1 Golden Plover)

Earlier in the day I managed a couple of hours birding around Welshpool, where I managed to find this Coot (4th from the left) wearing a color ring on it's left leg. It'll be interesting to see where he's come from?


No comments:

Post a Comment