Tuesday 15 January 2013

A new adventure for Mike...

This evening I met up with Mike, and we went up on to the Ceri Ridgeway to try a spot of wader dazzling (a technique you by ringers to catch nocturnal feeding birds). This was the first time mike had been out on one of my nocturnal ringing adventures. I thought the conditions would be perfect, how wrong was I! After walking around several fields seeing very few birds I was beginning to think we were going to catch nothing! Fortunately in the last field I managed to catch this little chap feeding in an un-frozen bit of water.


I was a bit disappointed when I missed a Jack Snipe (my favorite bird), but you can't have everything and Mike was more than happy to see a Woodcock this close. On the way back we also managed to catch and ring a Dipper which was roosting under a bridge. I also managed to find it's nest so I will be popping back in the spring to see if they manage to raise any young.

Snowy conditions also made it great for tracking animals. Several Fox track were found, which resulted in seeing 2 foxes, a Hare was also seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment